Sunderland Lifeboat Station was established in 1800 and taken over by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) in 1865. Since then, owing to difficulty in obtaining a really suitable site, there have been at various times seven different stations. Between 1873 and 1887 Sunderland had four stations at the same time, but the motor lifeboat station, established in 1912, is now the only existing one.
Silver Medal awarded to Joseph Hodgson a carver of Sunderland, in testimony of his extraordinary exertions, which extended over a period of 12 years in saving life. He had personally rescued 10 people from drowning and had assisted in lifeboats and other boats in saving about 17 others.
Silver Medal was awarded to Coxswain W Davison for long service.
Lifeboat supplied by the Institution at the request of the local seamen.
Institution took over local lifeboat society. The society had two serviceable and comparatively new lifeboats and a third lifeboat afloat in the South Dock and £150 in hand.
In October the No 1 Station lifeboat "Good Templar" was damaged by striking the rocks on returning from a service to the ss Altonia of Hamburg and only reached the shore with the greatest difficulty.
An accidental gas explosion wrecked the watch house of the number three lifeboat house. The coxswain had both legs broken and a Mr Briggs had to have a foot amputated.
Watch house rebuilt at a cost of£80
The Silver Medal was awarded to Coxswain R Thompson for general services.
New slipway constructed at South Outlet Station.
Committee of Management decided to form an additional station at Hendon Beach. Lifeboat Crew received £50 for a service on 2 March to S/S Jocinth when 11 people were rescued. The money was given by the donor of the lifeboat Mr J Coppin, to the crew the first time life was saved at the imminent peril of their own lives.
Local tug owners agreed to tow lifeboat to sea and back for £7 10 Od.
New lifeboat station (North Dock) and slipway constructed at a cost of £1,050. click here to see a copy of the original building plan